We, the members of First Presbyterian Church, Sweetwater (U.S.A.), are a community of believers called by the grace of God to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ. God in His divine knowledge brings us together as diverse parts of one body, recognizing that in diversity there is strength when we are brought together in love and forgiveness. We declare our mission to be delegated by the authority of Jesus Christ, as revealed in the Old and New Testaments, attuned to the needs of the people, and consistent with the reformed tradition in which our denomination stands.
We rely on the Holy Spirit to unite us and empower us as witnesses in the Kingdom of God while we wait for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ, whose coming will bring full realization of our redemption.
More specifically, it is our mission to seek:
- a continuous worship of the Triune God, embodied as Jesus Christ, and ever present as the Holy Spirit, whom we seek to glorify and enjoy in all that we are and all that we do.
- corporate and individual instruction in the word of God through the Bible, faith, and prayer so that His universal love and forgiveness may grow in us.
- to serve one another as members of the Body of Christ. We commit ourselves to share our various gifts and talents, to participate in the ministry for nurturing and equipping of persons for effective service, to build fellowship in love and compassion, and to strengthen one another through encouragement, caring, and discipline.
- to commit ourselves to the universality of God's love and forgiveness going out to the world in compassion, sharing significant resources with those lacking basic necessities, seeking peace, reconciliation, and justice.
- to evangelize by being witnesses to God's love and grace, reflecting our joy in His gifts by the positive practice of our faith.
We, the members of one body, celebrate God's gift of unity in the midst of our diversity. Out of love for God, we commit ourselves to love, support, and labor beside fellow believers both here and around the world.